Effective December 9, 2021
Southwest Community Options Inc. is committed to protecting the personal privacy of employees, participants, volunteers, donors and customers. This policy encompasses the rights and obligations of individuals in respect to the collection, use, disclosure and retention of personal information.
1. Accountability: Southwest Community Options Inc. is responsible for personal information under its control. Southwest Community Options Inc. has designated the Executive Director, as the Privacy Officer who is accountable for the agency’s compliance in protecting personal information and to answer questions from individuals about their personal information.
2. Identifying Purpose: The purpose for which personal information is collected, used disclosed and retained shall be identified by the agency at or before the time the information is collected. Southwest Community Options Inc. does not collect, use, disclose or retain personal information for any commercial activity.
3. Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individuals are required for collection, use, disclosure and retention of personal information except when required by law, i.e. payroll, benefits, RRSP, registered pension plan contributions, organizational incorporation information and membership.
4. Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information shall be limited to the amount and type necessary for the purposes identified by the agency. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected except with the signed consent of the individual or as required by law. Only personal information that is identified on a Release of Personnel Information Waiver (Appendix) will be disclosed to an organization identified on that same consent form, i.e. banking institution. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of purpose or as required by law.
6. Accuracy: Personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purpose for which it is being used. The onus is on the individual to provide updates of personal information.
7. Safeguards: Security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information shall be in place to protect personal information. All personal information is maintained in a secure location and is accessible only by assigned personnel.
8. Openness: Southwest Community Options Inc. shall make policies and procedures related to the management of personal information available to individuals.
9. Individual Access: Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information (Appendix). An individual shall be able to challenge accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate. Individual requests must be made in writing to the Executive Director/designate.
10. Challenging Compliance: An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles. Complaints must be made in writing to the Executive Director/designate.
To access your information, ask questions about our privacy practices or issue a complaint, contact us at:
Southwest Community Options
Box 46, 210 Queen Street
Ninette, MB R0K 1R0